More than 100 students took ill after consuming food at hostel canteen at NTTF Technical Training Centre at Electronics City on Sunday morning. They were admitted to a hospital.
A few angry students pelted stones at the institute and ransacked its office following the incident.
Sometime after their breakfast, the students complained of stomach ache and some of them started vomiting.
They were immediately rushed to Vimalayala Hospital and treated for food poisoning.
“This is the third time such an incident has happened in one-and-a-half years. The students alleged that even the water they drank was not good at the hostel canteen,” Resident Medical Officer of the hospital Dr Sateesh Babu said.
He said patients started coming to the hospital from Sunday evening. “Now, 60 in-patients are there and they are being monitored. All the students are out of danger and are likely to be discharged in a day of two,” Dr Babu said.
The students said they had complained to college authorities about the problems in the hostel, but no action was taken.
“On August 12, more than 10 students were taken ill after eating at the canteen. After that incident, there was a demand for changing the canteen contractors, but nothing was done” said a student.
Another student said the college authorities had made separate arrangements for food for their staff and students were made to eat in the canteen.
“Today, we were supposed to write our exam, and after this incident the exams had to be postponed,” he said.
The college authorities denied the allegations of the students, and said food from the same canteen was served to them.
“For the first time students have resorted to stone pelting and ransacking of the college property. We will seek an explanation from the canteen contractors,” a college official said.