Karnataka Government Does a U-turn, Sticks to Old CET Format

CM says 2006 Act kept on hold in students’ interest, will consider amendment

Published: 21st December 2013 11:42 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st December 2013 11:56 AM   |  A+A-

Karnataka has decided not to press ahead with a new admission regime for professional colleges that would have shrunk seat quotas for meritorious and poor students.

After a three-hour-long meeting with senior ministers and officials on Friday, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the state government would keep the controversial Karnataka Professional Educational Institutions Act of 2006 in abeyance for 2014-15.

“In the interest of students, we have taken this decision....  The earlier system will continue,” Siddaramaiah told reporters.

He also said the government would hold wide-ranging consultations and amend the Act, if necessary.

With this decision, admissions to under-graduate professional courses for 2014-15 will continue like in previous years.

The Common Entrance Test (CET) will be conducted to fill the government quota in private colleges.

At the same time, private professional college managements, deemed universities and minority institutions will conduct separate tests.

The government will soon call a meeting of private colleges to discuss the admission process for the next academic year.

It plans to sign a consensual agreement and place it before the Supreme Court. “If necessary, we will approach the Union Government to bring in a uniform Act,” said the Chief Minister.

Last week, the state government formed two committees, headed by retired High Court judges, after Medical Education Minister Sharan Prakash Patil announced the government’s decision to implement the Act from the next academic year.

The committees were formed to fix the fee and regulate admissions.

Students, parents and students’ organisations across the state are up in arms against the government’s decision to implement the Act, which they feel is not in their interest.

Many leaders, including Union Minister M Veerappa Moily and colleagues in the Siddaramaiah Cabinet, said the government ought to review its stand.

Minister Sulking?

Medical Education Minister Patil, who was keen on implementing the Act, was visibly disappointed with the government decision.

While the Chief Minister was briefing the media, he sat silently in a corner.

 

Also Read

Karnataka Has Lowest Govt Quota Seat Share

Govt Moots Academic Autonomy to CET

‘Govt Yet to Take Final Decision’

Listen to Students on CET, Says Guv; Nothing to Fear, Assures Minister

Engg, Medical Aspirants Fret Over Govt Move on CET 

 

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp