1. Meghraj is the name of a new IT initiative of the Government of India. What does it pertain to?
2. What does the term Orphan Drug mean?
3. Tanganyika joined with which island to create the Republic of Tanzania in 1963?
4. Which famous Cuban was the chief figure in the 26th of July movement?
5. In which film did MS Subbulakshmi first act?
6. Baklava is a sweet originating from which country?
7. Who is the Indian American to be introduced in the Archie Comics?
8. Where is the famous bob sleigh track known as the Cresta Run situated?
9. Which American astronomer classified the galaxies into spiral, elliptical and irregular types?
10. What is the study of earthquakes called?
11. Napoleon was imprisoned on Elba and died on St Helena. In which island was he born?
12. In the world of animals and birds, what is a merlin?
13. In Indian astrology, the planet Jupiter is known as Brihaspati and what other name?
14. Which novel begun in 1918 by JRR Tolkein was completed by his son in 2007?
15. What weapon is used in the martial art of Tamil Nadu called silambam?
16. What abbreviation was coined by Deepak Mohoni around 1990 while writing market analysis columns for some business newspapers and magazines?
17. Tapas are appetisers served in which country?
18. Shyam Benegal’s film Junoon set during the Sepoy Mutiny is based on which writer’s story?
19. What is the maximum number
of men allowed in a tug-of-war team?
20. What is the name for the scientific study of human populations?
21. Which German bacteriologist discovered the causes of the diseases anthrax, cholera, and tuberculosis?
22. Transylvania of vampire fame is in which country?
23. Name the German airship which was destroyed by fire in 1937?
24. Which Indian sportsman got India its only gold medal in the 1996 Summer Olympics?
25. If an animal is described as ungulate, what would be its distinguishing feature?
26. What term is used to describe angles larger than 180 but less than 360 degrees?
27. What is the name of the legendary ghost ship which is believed to haunt the Cape of Good Hope?
28. Which toxic gas was the first to be used in chemical warfare in World War One?
29. Who is the Egyptian author of the Cairo Trilogy and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature?
30. What is the other name of the chitraveena?
1. Cloud Computing
2. One that treats a very rare disease. USA’s Orphan Drug Act of 1983 is aimed at stimulating the research, development, and approval of products that treat rare diseases.
4 Fidel Castro
5. Seva Sadanam (1938)
7. Raj Patel
8. St Moritz
9. Edwin Hubble
12. A small falcon
14. Children of Hurin
18. Ruskin Bond (A Flight of Pigeons)
21. Robert Koch
23. The Hindenburg
24. Leander Paes
25. It would have hooves
26. Reflex angles
27. The Flying Dutchman
29. Naguib Mahfouz