100 ill, 30 in hospital after eating prasadam

As many as 30 people were admitted to hospital and more than 100 people fell ill after taking prasadam at Chowdeshwari temple at Lakkasandra near Dairy Circle on the occasion of Navaratri festival.

Published: 15th October 2013 07:48 AM  |   Last Updated: 15th October 2013 07:48 AM   |  A+A-

Sri-Venkateshwara-Specialit

As many as 30 people were admitted to hospital and more than 100 people fell ill after taking prasadam at Chowdeshwari temple at Lakkasandra near Dairy Circle on the occasion of Navaratri festival.

They had taken the prasadam on Saturday night, and fell sick on Sunday morning.

Those who have fallen sick have been admitted to Sri Venkateshwara Speciality Hospital on Bannerghatta Road, Agadi Hospital in Wilson Garden and St John’s Hospital. Venkateshwara Hospital authorities said the patients were complaining of severe stomach pain and vomiting. “People are still pouring in complaining of the same symptoms,” they said.

Chowdeshwari temple authorities had distributed loba curry, bisibele bath and sweet pongal on the occasion of Navaratri. Hundreds of locals in Audugodi near Mico Layout customarily visit the temple on the eve of the festival. Krithika, a third year BBM student and one of the victims, has been admitted to a hospital along with her mother Shashikala (43) and brother Aditya (22). “I and my brother had only eaten loba curry. My mother had eaten all the three dishes given as prasadam. I think it is the loba curry which caused the sickness,” she said.

“We were fine till Sunday morning. My brother Aditya started vomiting by 1 pm and then my mother fell sick; by evening I had fever and started vomiting. Fever and uneasiness are still there,” she said.

She said her family had been visiting the temple for the last four years, and such an incident had never happened in the past.

Vivek Kumar, who is taking care of his 11-year-old daughter Jayasri in Venkateshwara Speciality Hospital, said that many people from the temple management have also been admitted to the hospital. Hence foul play was ruled out, according to him. “My daughter started vomiting, developed a fever and loose motion at 2 am,” he said.

Audugodi police said they are yet to get a complaint in this regard. However, policemen have been sent to the temple and the hospital to get details on the incident. According to sources, BBMP Health Department officials had dismissed the incident, and no one from the BBMP visited to enquire about it.

Sources in the Police Department said there was an internal power struggle among the members of the temple management. “This could be the handiwork of one of those disgruntled members in the management, and there is a chance of a deliberate attempt to influence local people,” the police said.

However, the locals explained that the food was prepared in an unhygienic condition which led to the food poisoning.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp