BANGALORE: About 40-50 passengers travelling in a private bus from Kadalur to Bangalore had a lucky escape on Monday after the bus’ diesel tank caught fire.
The incident took place near Govardhan theatre in Yeshwanthpur around 9.50 am.
Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot after passengers and passersby, who noticed smoke coming from under the bus, contacted the Fire and Emergency Services Department.
“There was a leak in the diesel pipe and we believe that overheating may have led to the fire,” officials at the Fire Department told Express.
There were no casualties, they said.
The bus (TN 51 X 2304) was examined by Regional Transport officials.
‘A Minor Incident’
However, the police are yet to file an FIR, as neither the owner of the vehicle nor the passengers have come forward to register a complaint.
“It was a minor incident. It was almost the end of the journey and passengers were getting ready to exit anyway. It happened very close to the fire station in Yeshwanthpur and fire personnel were able to get there before the situation became too serious,” a police source said.
Two seats right above the diesel tank were charred, but the fire was put out before it spread to the rest of the bus.
Traffic in the area was held up while the fire was being doused.