BANGALORE: Classes resumed on Monday for students from Standard 1 to 5 at Orchids School, but two higher classes face an uncertain future.
The Jalahalli school, where a three-year-old was sexually assaulted last week, was allegedly running Standards 6 and 7 without permission.
The government has shut down the two sections, jeopardising the year for several children.
Late on Monday, the government announced it had suspended the former Block Education Officer who certified Orchids and allowed it to run illegal sections.
Nervous Parents: Back at school after the Diwali holidays, many parents ushered their children in at the usual 8.30 am and waited around till 11.30 am, just in case.
Parents blamed corruption in the Education Department for their problems, since it had allowed two illegal sections to function. “Where were the officials doing before this incident took place? The only reason they are doing anything now is because the irregularities became public,” said a parent.
Other Schools?: Many parents are worried other schools may not admit their children in the middle of the academic year.
“I don’t know why the management and the officials put the future of our students at risk like this,” said Murthy V, another parent. Pallavi S admitted her child to Orchids because it is located close to her house. “I am helpless and cannot change schools now. But next year I definitely will,” she said.
Cops on Campus: Many students are still not aware of the campus outrage, and parents are grappling with the problem of how to explain the developments to sensitive children. “My daughter wants to know why there are policemen and reporters in front of the school. What do I tell her?” asked a parent. Some parents are advising their children never to be alone on the campus.
“A school is said to be a child’s second home. But I now tell my nine-year-old daughter she needs to look after herself,” said Parvatheesh, whose child studies in the third standard.