SHRC Rescues 2 Youths Detained 'Illegally'

Published: 25th September 2014 06:03 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th September 2014 06:03 AM   |  A+A-

BANGALORE: In yet another case of alleged illegal detention by the city police, two youngsters were rescued by the State Human Rights Commission on Tuesday.

Vinod Kumar (19) and Abhishek (21) were held at Talaghattapura police station for at least nine days before they were rescued.

According to SHRC officials, Vinod Kumar’s mother Jayamma approached SHRC saying the police had picked him up on September 15.

“When we raided the police station, we found Vinod Kumar and another person, identified as Abhishek. Police said Vinod and Abhishek had stolen two bikes and that they had even recovered the vehicles. However, there was no FIR registered and the two were not even produced before a court. We have confiscated all the documents from the station to make sure that nothing is added to the books after the raid,” an shrc official said.

According to statements given to SHRC by Talaghattapura police, Abhishek had stolen two bikes and, through Vinod, sold them to one Mohan.

When Mohan did not get original documents of the bike, he approached the police. Vinod was picked up and questioned and later Abhishek too was detained.

Probe Against CCB Officer

Bangalore: An internal inquiry has been initiated against a Central Crime Branch (CCB) officer accused of illegally detaining and harassing a man.

Sheikh Nizammudin recently approached the State Human Rights Commission accusing police inspector Dayanand Sigunasi of illegally detaining him and forcing him to sign three blank cheques and a document stating that he owed realtor Abdul Sattar, his neighbour, `57 lakh.

Nizammudin claimed that he owes Sattar only about `16 lakh and the latter had lodged a complaint with CCB to force him to give up his land. Nizammudin alleged that he was slapped by CCB officers, Sattar and Kanva Srinivasmurthy, a financier.

Cop ODs on Pills

An SI attached to Wilson Garden police station was hospitalised on Wednesday after he overdosed on sleeping pills.

It is not yet clear whether this was an accident or an attempt to commit suicide. The SI, K Y Praveen Kumar, has been in service for seven years.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp