How to practise
- Sit on a mat with legs stretched out, thighs, knees, ankles and feet together.
- Back and neck erect, rest on your buttock bones.
- Fold your right knee and bring it towards perineum till your big toe touches inside of left thigh
- Ensure the right knee is pressed firmly on the floor
- Twist the trunk to the left
- Inhale and stretch your right hand up keeping elbow straight
- Exhale and extend your left hand towards the left toe (Beginners may hold ankle or shin, wherever you feel comfortable) and hold the toe with left elbow resting on the left knee
- Keep the right knee straight and press thigh towards the floor
- Focus your gaze on the right palm and hold the pose for 30-60 seconds with normal breathing
- Repeat with other leg
- 3-4 cycles of the asana are ideal.
- Helps to mobilize the hamstring muscles
- Stretches the spine and helps to make it flexible
- Stretches shoulders and hamstrings
- Stimulates abdominal organs such as the liver and kidneys
- Stimulates blood circulation to the spine and relieves back ache
- Improves digestion
- Helps to remove excess weight around abdomen
Caution: This posture should not be performed by people suffering from severe backache.
Grand Master Akshar, Akshar Power Yoga Academy, #4004, 100 Feet Road, Indiranagar