Karnataka HC: Why Delay in Naming Lokayukta Registrar?

Published: 27th September 2015 04:48 AM  |   Last Updated: 27th September 2015 04:55 AM   |  A+A-

BENGALURU: Questioning the delay in appointment of the Registrar of Karnataka Lokayukta, the High Court on Saturday gave the state government two weeks’ time to clarify on the issue.

Hearing a public interest petition filed by advocate R Ananda Murthy, a division bench of Acting Chief Justice Subhro Kamal Mukherjee and Justice B V Nagarathna asked the government’s advocate how much time the Chief Minister needed.

The government’s advocate informed the bench that the matter had been placed before the Chief Minister for consideration and two names had been suggested for the post. They were Additional Registrar M S Balakrishna and District Principal and Sessions Judge Gunaki Narendra Kumar Basavaraj.

Lokayukta Additional Registrar M S Balakrishna’s name has been recommended for the post of registrar. Earlier, the High Court had recommended judge Gunaki’s name to the DPAR. Sources said the government is ready to withdraw the notification posting Jaffer as registrar of Lokayukta.

Hurdles Cleared for BAMUL Polls

The High Court on Saturday gave the green signal to the election of one of a director to the Bangalore Urban, Rural and Ramanagaram District Co-Operative Milk Producers Societies Union Limited, (BAMUL) on Sunday. However, the court barred announcement of results.

Hearing a writ appeal filed by H C Jayamutthu, president of Harohalli Milk Producers Cooperative Society in Channapatna taluk of Ramanagaram district, the division bench also adjourned the case to October 8. The bench issued a notice to BAMUL, the Cooperative Department and others.

Jayamutthu, who had got 69 out of 134 votes polled, was elected as a director of BAMUL in an election held on May 25. Candidate Lingesh Kumar, who had got 62 votes, challenged Jayamutthu’s election with the HC.

Order on Land Recovery stayed

The High Court on Saturday stayed the Bengaluru North Land Tribunal’s order on recovering 265.24 acres excess land worth Rs 1,500 crore from M/s Jamnalal Bajaj Seva Trust. In its petition, the Trust contended that the survey of the disputed land had been ordered on December 9, 2014. However, the Tribunal reserved the order on July 14, 2015, before receiving the survey report.  The report was submitted on July 30, the Trust said. “The report will provide details of the agricultural, non-agricultural land, constructed area, etc. Without taking these into consideration, the tribunal reserved the order and pronounced it in favour of the government,” the counsel for the Trust told HC.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp