No bandh in city, Baahubali 2 to hit the screens

The pro-Kannada activists have accepted the apology tendered by Tamil actor Sathyaraj and announced that they will not stall the release of the movie Baahubali 2 in Karnataka.

Published: 23rd April 2017 05:05 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd April 2017 05:05 AM   |  A+A-

Tight security was put in place at theatres in Bengaluru after rumours over Kannada films being pulled out of theatres in Tamil Nadu on Saturday | Vinod Kumar T

By Express News Service

BENGALURU: The pro-Kannada activists have accepted the apology tendered by Tamil actor Sathyaraj and announced that they will not stall the release of the movie Baahubali 2 in Karnataka.

They have also withdrawn the April 28  bandh call. Addressing a press conference here on Saturday, Kannada activist Vatal Nagaraj said, “Tamil actor Sathyaraj has apologised in public. So we have decided to end this here and have withdrawn the bandh call.” Nine years ago, Sathyaraj had referred to Kannadigas in derogatory terms while speaking on sharing of Cauvery waters.

Vatal Nagaraj warned the actor not to take issues related to Karnataka lightly and not make any inflammatory statements in the future.“In such a case, we will ensure that all his films are banned permanently here,” Vatal said.

Earlier in the day, following rumours that screening of Kannada movies had been stopped in Tamil Nadu, Kannada activists expressed their anger by removing posters of Tamil movies in Bengaluru. Vatal Nagaraj even warned, “If they disturb screening of any Kannada movie in Tamil Nadu, the same will be repeated in Karnataka too.”

Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) president Sa Ra Govindu said that reports of Kannada films being pulled out of theatres in Tamil Nadu due to this issue were untrue.

“It is true that some films have been pulled out but that is because of low audience and not any other reason,” he said. He also admitted that Tamil film posters had been pulled down in some areas in Bengaluru despite people being told not to do so. 

Bengaluru Police Commissioner Praveen Sood also sought to scotch rumours saying that no Kannada film had been pulled off theatres in Tamil Nadu and asked people not to heed to false information.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp