Lizard found in dinner at child care home, 15 take ill

At least 15 children, residents of a government child care home, took ill after consuming dinner at the facility, where a lizard was allegedly found on Sunday night.

Published: 01st January 2019 06:25 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st January 2019 12:46 PM   |  A+A-

The Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health ward where children were admitted after they complained of food poisoning symptoms,in Bengaluru on Monday | pushkar v

Express News Service

BENGALURU: At least 15 children, residents of a government child care home, took ill after consuming dinner at the facility, where a lizard was allegedly found on Sunday night. Though all the 103 children in the home were hospitalised as a precaution, by Monday evening, 98 were discharged while five are said to be stable and will be discharged on Tuesday.

Sadajeevi, 12, from Vijayapura, who was put in the Nutrition Rehabilitation Centre of Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, had joined the home recently.Called Balakara Balamandira, the home is located within the campus of Kidwai Hospital. Sadajeevi is flanked by his friends, aged 6 to 18, on adjacent beds in the same ward, sound asleep on Monday afternoon.

“We were eating anna-sambar when we saw a lizard in one of the plates,” he said.Dr Naveen Benkappa, medical superintendent, Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, said, “I have three children under observation, but all 103 are on the second floor in two wards. Their blood, urine and serum samples have been sent to the forensic department in Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute.

Six of them will undergo gastric aspiration, and their stomach contents will be sent for toxicology screening after the police file an FIR. We carried out stomach wash for 15-20 kids who were symptomatic.”Benkappa said 98 children were discharged on Monday night, while five kids who had complained of weakness and abdominal pain, will be discharged on Tuesday.

A staff of the facility, while attending to the children, told The New Indian Express, “Last night, one of the boys saw a lizard on his plate, following which around six of them started vomiting. Our superintendent decided to bring all of them to the hospital, as they had already consumed the food.”

Sudha Rani, superintendent of the facility, said, “These kids come to us for care under the Integrated Child Protection Scheme. We follow the nutritional guidelines of the Women and Child Development Department that specifies calorie intake etc. Food is prepared thrice a day and we have never come across lizards even on the walls of the kitchen. I don’t know how this happened.”

A food sample has been sent to the food lab at Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), and the report is expected in 10-15 days, said the staff of the home.A case was registered at Siddapura police station.

Y Mariswamy, in-charge chairperson, Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights, said, “We have sent our secretary to the facility. If we find any violations, we will send them a showcause notice. I’m in touch with Dr Benkappa.”Mariswamy said that Minister for Women and Child Development Jayamala is keeping close tabs on the incident.

DID LIZARD CAUSE IT?

Dr Kala Yadav, professor and in-charge head of the Microbiology department at Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, said it was unlikely that only the presence of a lizard could lead to food poisoning, as commonly found lizards are not poisonous. “But they can be carriers of infection, depending on where they come from, and in that case, they can cause food poisoning,” she said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments(1)

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

  • Rajagopal Kaimal

    Ms. Sudha Rani
    8 months ago reply
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp