In a twist to the story of three-month-old Rahul, who reportedly suffered four incidences of spontaneous combustion, authorities of Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, where the infant is being treated, lodged a complaint with police on Thursday seeking protection for the baby.
Dr P Ramakrishnan, dean, Kilpauk Medical Hospital told Express that he has submitted a petition to police to investigate and take necessary steps to prevent such incidence from happening to the baby in the future.
While the baby is likely to be discharged on Friday, over 30 different tests conducted on Rahul revealed no signs of spontaneous human combustion (SHC), a condition which had been earlier suspected.
Further, the dean said the statements given by the baby’s parents and maternal grandmother during psychiatric counselling were found inconsistent. A similar petition was also sent to the Child Welfare Committee, the dean said.
“Our findings have revealed that it was not spontaneous human combustion. It’s the duty of the police to look into it and take necessary steps,” he said.
Agreeing that there was a possibility of the child being abused, the dean said it could be revealed only by police investigations.
Rahul, son of farmhands Rajeshwari and Karna from Villupuram district was admitted to KMC on August 8 after parents claimed that the boy had suffered burns as he went up in flames four times. The boy was treated for burns and doctors said he was stable. Over 30 different tests were conducted on him to find out if he suffered from SHC.