Mystery remains as blazing baby discharged from KMC
By Express News Service | Published: 24th August 2013 08:13 AM |
After a fortnight-long treatment and observation for suspected Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC), three-month-old Rahul was discharged from the Kilpauk Medical College (KMC) Hospital here on Friday.
The baby, son of farm-hands Karnan and Rajeswari from T Parangini village in Villupuram district, was treated since August 8 for extensive burns, claimed to have sustained due to SHC, a rare phenomenon in medical history. According to the parents, the child went up in flames four times since his birth.
KMC Dean Dr P Ramakrishnan told the media that 30 different tests conducted so far have not yielded any proof for the rare phenomenon. “Results of the tests showed no sign of SHC. The baby was cured of burns and the parents desired to take him back with them instead of keeping him at a Child Welfare Home for further care,” he said.
The parents were provided counselling for the safe up-keep of the infant. Dr Ramakrishnan maintained that there was a possibility of child abuse or mischief and only a police investigation could throw light on that.
Earlier, on Thursday the Dean lodged a complaint with the police to investigate and take necessary steps to protect the baby from recurrence of any such incident. A similar petition was sent to the Child Welfare Committee. “The child would be under the observation of the PHC in the village as well as the GH at Villupuram.