CHENNAI: Over 1.44 lakh cases have been booked so far across the State against violators of the compulsory helmet rule, the State government informed the Madras High Court on Monday.
The information was provided following a series of questions raised by Justice N Kirubakaran, including details of actions taken against advocates who flouted the rule, while hearing a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim appeal last Friday.
The additional solicitor general, while stating that about 14,503 cases had been booked in Chennai alone, said that if the mobile evening courts were available on Saturdays and Sundays, the number of pending cases could be reduced.
Meanwhile, the Madras High Court Advocates Association (MHAA), represented by it’s president RC Paul Kanagaraj while pleading to implead them in the case contended that the court’s order to impound the documents of the violating vehicle was against the law.
Recording the submissions of the additional solicitor general, Justice Kirubakaran asked the Registrar General of the court to consider the request for mobile courts on Saturdays and Sundays and take appropriate action.
Responding to MHAA’s plea, the judge said the court had the jurisdiction and power to order impounding the documents though it was not mandated by law.
Pointing out the protests staged by advocates in Madurai against the rule, the judge said, “Contempt proceedings can be initiated against the advocates who indulged in the protest, but the court does not want to blow up the issue.”
Making it clear that the order would neither be withdrawn nor compromised, Justice Kirubakaran posted the matter for further hearing on Tuesday.