Docs Remove Rare Tumour from Man's Lung

Published: 28th July 2015 04:45 AM  |   Last Updated: 28th July 2015 04:45 AM   |  A+A-

CHENNAI: A three-kg rare tumour, one of only 800 or so cases reported worldwide, was removed from the right lung of a 48-year-old man from Kanyakumari district by doctors from Cardiothoracic Surgery Department at the Government Stanley Hospital here.

Doctors said this was a congenital, non-malignant tumour, to remove which they had to cut open the sixth, seventh and eighth rib during a three-hour surgery on July 13.

Dennis.jpgDennis, a daily wage labourer hailing from Marthandam in Kanyakumari district, was admitted to the hospital with breathing difficulty and fatigue, after other private hospitals told him he was suffering from a cancerous tumour.

“I am a construction labourer who was active at work till about six months ago. Until then, I hadn’t felt any discomfort. But since February, my health condition started deteriorating rapidly. I was short of breath even if I walk for few feet,” Dennis said.

Hamlet, his wife, recalled how his condition worsened over the past few months, though he never complained of any pain or discomfort. “He lost appetite and then stopped going for work as he could not even walk after developing breathing difficulties. He used to cough even when he talked,” she added.

Dr K Dhamodaran, Head of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department of the hospital. said scan reports showed that the giant tumour was compressing the patient’s right lung from within.

“The tumour rose from a part of the lung, and was tangled with the blood vessels, making it difficult to separate from the lung. Luckily, we could remove tumour alone safely without any damage to the lung. His lungs are functioning well now,” said Dr Dhamodaran.

According to him, there are only around 800 such cases reported worldwide so far. Dr A Sivaraman, assistant professor said the cause of the tumour is unknown. “There is a two per cent chance of re-occurence. So, the patient has to come for review once in six months or so,” he added.

Dr Isaac Christian Moses said the surgery, which would have cost nearly `5 lakh in private hospitals, was done free of cost under the Chief Minister’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.

Two weeks after the surgery, Dennis and Hamlet are getting ready to return to their native after being scheduled for discharge on Tuesday.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp