CHENNAI: Dear Chennaiites, your nearest Post Office will replace the demonetized Rs. 500 and Rs.1,000 notes from today (November 10).
A notice has been put up in all post offices in this regard.
“We had received many queries since morning and advised the customers to come tomorrow,” said a postal employee.
However, the exchange of currencies would be limited to Rs. 4,000 only. This would be done only if any of the identity proof --- Aadhaar Card, Pan Card, Voter Identity Card, Passport, Postal ID card or state or Central government’s identity card is presented along with a request slip.
Those who want to exchange more than Rs 4000 could deposit it in their post office savings bank account, if they have any, said a post office official.
Some last minute information for the customers :
1. Your money has not lost its value or is devalued.
2. You can exchange your Rs. 500, Rs.1,000 notes tomorrow at banks, post offices.
3. You may be asked to furnish the source of income if you have too much of cash to deposit or exchange.
4. As far as possible, use your debit card or credit card for immediate needs.
5. Manage the day with the few hundred rupee notes you may have.
6. Try to get lower denomination notes only in need; Also help those in urgent need for lower denomination notes, if you have.