Expert explains

My DTH operator is asking me to pay for the service technician after the service was stopped abruptly for no fault of mine.

Published: 12th February 2019 03:50 AM  |   Last Updated: 12th February 2019 03:50 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

CHENNAI: My DTH operator is asking me to pay for the service technician after the service was stopped abruptly for no fault of mine. I have asked for the service without any charges, but the company staff is refusing. How can I proceed further to file a complaint in the consumer court?

— Doraiswamy

You can contact Citizen Consumer and Civic Action Group (CAG), Phone No. 044-24660387.  They will guide you.


My son issued a cheque dated 15.03.2016 to a person and there was a dispute. My son gave a letter to the banker not to honour the cheque. So, the cheque was returned and he again deposited the cheque on 13.06.2016. Can the person initiate legal action against my son under Section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act. Can he take action only after the cheque is returned for the second time instead of taking action when the cheque returned the first time?

—R Natarajan

The Supreme Court (2013) in MSR Leathers vs. S.Palaniappan & Anr. reported in  (2013) 1 SCC 177  has  held as follows:- “when the cheque was presented second time on 10.11.2008 and was returned unpaid, legal notice for demand was issued only on 17.12.2008 which was not within 30 days of the receipt of the information by him from the Bank regarding the return of the cheque as unpaid. Non-issuance of notice within the limitation prescribed has rendered the complaint as not maintainable.”


I followed all the steps to file an FIR for a cognizable office. The judicial magistrate also gave a direction to the station officer under 156 (3) CrPC to investigate and file FIR. But, the police has not complied with the court order. What should I do next?

— GA Harry

You can approach the Superintendent of Police of that area. Failing to get relief, you will have to file a private complaint under section 200 Cr.P.C.

Justice K Chandru is a former judge of the Madras High Court

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp