Expert Explains: Justice K Chandru answers

My nephew is a divorcee and married for the second time after paying final settlement to his first wife through court.

Published: 18th February 2019 10:39 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th February 2019 07:09 PM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

CHENNAI : My nephew is a divorcee and married for the second time after paying final settlement to his first wife through court. There was a child in his first marriage, but the paternity was disputed by our family since we believe the child was not my nephew’s. We have not raised this issue in any court of law. Will the child have any stake in the property inherited by my nephew?


The child was born to your niece-in-law while the marriage was in force. The presumption is that the father of the child is your nephew. Mere suspicion will not help. If the child is a biological child, then it automatically gets a share in the property. Even if the child was illegally born, it was for your nephew
to have repudiated it. Now it is too late.

Thanks for replying to my earlier query on regularisation of unauthorised buildings. Can you kindly give details about the scheme for regularisation of unauthorised buildings? — ANONYMOUS

Go to the Website and see the three GOs.: G.O.Ms.No.78 dated 04.05.2017, G.O.Ms.No.172 dated 13.10.2017 & G.O.Ms. No.55 dated 02.05.2018

Kindly guide how I can seek remedy for a faulty mobile phone a dealer supplied to me. I am a senior citizen. — KM SHENOY You can contact Citizen Consumer and Civic Action Group (CAG), Phone No. 044- 24660387. They will guide you.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp