Hike in outlay for JNNURM raises RTC’s hopes

Published: 01st March 2013 10:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 01st March 2013 10:07 AM   |  A+A-

With the allocation of Rs 7,383 crore to buy new buses under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) scheme, AP State Road Transport Corporation is expecting to ply more buses this year.

Union finance minister P Chidambaram on Thursday announced the allocation and added that the JNNURM project will be continued in the 12th plan.

The APSRTC had procured as many as 1,500 buses under the scheme in phase-1. According to sources, about 4,000 new buses are needed to provide better service. JNNURM norms state that the Centre will bear 35 per cent of total cost of each bus, 15 per cent will be borne by state government and the remaining 50 percent by the RTC.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp