3.7 million Alzheimer's cases in India
By Express News Service | Published: 22nd September 2013 09:53 AM |
Alzheimer is caused by decay or damage of brain cells in 90 per cent of the cases and in the remaining 10 percent, it is hereditary, Subhash Kaul, head of department of Neurology, Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences, said. “It does not effect everybody, but one in five or 20 percent of population suffers from the disease,” he said. Speaking about how onset of the disease can be delayed, he said that according to a research, regular physical and mental activity helps in delaying the onset of the disease.
On the occasion of World Alzheimer Day, a documentary titled ‘Bicycle, Spoon, Apple’ was screened at Lamakaan on Saturday organised by Memory Clinic, Department of Neurology, NIMS, Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India (ARDSI)and Asha Hospital. The documentary is about glimpses of life of Pasqual Maragall, former Mayor of Barcelona and President of Catalunya who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2007. It also features the services provided at the memory clinic, Department of Neurology, NIMS, as mentioned in a press release.