HYDERABAD: Property worth lakh of rupees was gutted when a huge fire engulfed a plastic recycling plant in the industrial area of Katedan in Rajendranagar on Monday morning. However, no casualties were reported.
Huge flames emanated from two sheds located on the premises that created panic in the entire industrial area. Mounds of plastic materials stored in the godown suddenly went up in flames with thick smoke billowing. Local residents became panic-stricken when they saw huge flames blowing out from the plastic godown. Fire tenders from different parts of the city were pressed into service to douse the raging fire.
The godown which housed scrap material like plastic, rexin wastes and other items were completely gutted, GHMC officials said. Though the exact cause for the fire has not been ascertained, fire department sources said the mishap could have been caused by short circuit. The police said that the exact cause could be ascertained only after investigation.
It is suspected that the fire is caused due to short circuit. A huge property loss due to the fire is expected. Police are investigating the matter.
Known as the plastic hub of the city, Kattedan has over several hundred industrial units with more than half of them involved in plastic manufacturing cum processing activities. The industrial area has sizeable residential buildings interspersed with factories.
Frequent fire accidents are occurring in Katedan mainly due to poor safety precautions. Residents have for long have been demanding for relocation of the industrial area to city outskirts.