Student gets up from sleep, jumps to death in Hyderabad

A 17-year-old intermediate student allegedly killed himself by jumping out of the fourth floor balcony of his maternal uncle’s apartment in Kukatpally in wee hours of Friday.

Published: 07th April 2018 04:41 AM  |   Last Updated: 07th April 2018 04:41 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

HYDERABAD: A 17-year-old intermediate student allegedly killed himself by jumping out of the fourth floor balcony of his maternal uncle’s apartment in Kukatpally in wee hours of Friday. According to the uncle, Mallavarapu Bhavan woke up from sleep in the dead of the night, rushed out of the drawing room to the balcony shouting “aunt” and plunged to death.

Bhavan’s father M Sharath Raju is a head constable attached to the Warangal Armed Reserve Police. His mother Tulasi is a government school teacher. Bhavan was studying second-year intermediate (MPC) at Sri Chaitanya Junior College in Madhapur. He was staying in the college hostel while his parents and younger brother lived in Warangal.  

Bhavan had finished his first year intermediate and was pursuing EAMCET entrance coaching for last one week. With summer break starting on Friday, Bhavan had arrived at his uncle’s home previous night and was set to leave for Warangal on Friday morning.

After having dinner, Bhavan and his cousin slept in the drawing room and his uncle and aunt slept in another room in the house. At around 3.30 am, Bhavan woke up from sleep suddenly and ran towards the balcony. He unlatched the door and allegedly jumped from the fourth floor of the building. Bhavan’s cousin Venkata Sai Kiran, who ran behind him could not save the former, and alerted Bhavan’s parents and then the police.

The boy was rushed to Sri Sri Holistic Hospital for treatment but succumbed while undergoing treatment. He had suffered critical injuries to the right side of his head, fractures to ribs apart from other injuries. Based on the boy’s father’s complaint, a case of suspicious death has been filed. “We did not find any suicide note from the house,” said KPHB sub-inspector Raju Yadav.

Quoting the boy’s uncle, KPHB inspector Ch Kushalkar said Bhavan was active and happy till they went to sleep. Bhavan had biryani and spent quality time at home. All members of the family heard Bhavan shout “aunt” before he ran to the balcony and jumped. The boy’s cousin Sai Kiran ran behind him and tried to hold his hand and rescue him, but he slipped and fell down, said Kushalkar. Sharath Raju and Tulasi collapsed at hospital premises after hearing their son had died. His parents did not visit the mortuary. It was their relatives who collected the body. Later, they left to Warangal to perform last rites, after donating his eyes to LV Prasad Eye Hospital.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp