KOCHI: Though Kochi is on its way to be tagged a smart city through the Union Government’s smart city mission project, there are many sectors which need to be brought under the government’s attention.
One of them is the law and order situation in Kochi. Better Kochi Response Group, an NGO which functions in Kochi, has suggested improvements in the functioning of the police in line with Kochi Smart City. They have charted out over 40 suggestions in this regard.
Use of Information Technology to upgrade the services of the police department should be looked into seriously by discussing with top IT professionals
Getting access to ‘Police No:100’ is almost impossible. Police men going on night beats should make attendance marking at remote locations through bio metric or card machines.
Replacing of Illegal auto rickshaw stands
- Breaks in dividers are too frequent. Straight crossing of important roads like bypass and high ways without traffic lights should not be allowed.
- Check on ambulances speeding on the road without patients
- A signage policy has to evolve with colour scheme, letter sizes etc
- Advertisement hoarding should be strictly controlled by police. Even issuing license for display can be implemented
- Appoint enough people to respond to ‘Police No:100’ as there are not enough people and phones
- FM radio and Whatsaap application must be used for reporting accidents and crime.
- Wrong parking and other traffic violations can be brought out through FM Radio. Organize a meeting with FM Radio operators and take their suggestions too
- Safety of women on the road especially after dark is still a debatable issue and night patrolling strength should be increased
- Bus stops should be allotted atleast 50 m away from junctions
- Traffic islands are not scientifically done. Very often vehicles do not circle the islands while turning
- Potholes slow down traffic and damage vehicles. Police should give notice to PWD, Corporation or High way department to repair these pot holes as and when it appears, failing which criminal action should be taken.
- Proper ID and tracking system for migrant labourers
- Drug addicts to be watched closely and supply chains to be broken. Anonymous boxes with proper locks to receive complaints and valuable information where young people gather