Fire Triggers Panic, Traffic Congestion - The New Indian Express

Fire Triggers Panic, Traffic Congestion

Published: 21st January 2014 12:15 PM

Last Updated: 21st January 2014 12:19 PM

A fire accident at Edappally junction  created panic in the city on Monday. An Innova car was charred completely and a home appliances showroom was gutted. However, no casualties were reported.

According to the police, the spreading of sparks from the waste burning nearby was the cause for the mishap.

The usually crowded junction witnessed traffic congestion which continued for more than one hour from the time of the accident. The staff of the showroom, Nandilath G Mart said they were yet to calculate the actual loss. The incident took place around 1.45 pm. Around 13 units of Fire and Rescue Services rushed to the spot from Mattanchery, Eloor, Thrikkakkara, Aluva, Perumbavoor, Muvattupuzha, Club Road, North Paravur and Gandhi Nagar stations. The fire force brought the rising flames under control around 3.15 pm. The car which was parked near the shop belongs to Muhammed Navas who resides nearby. A goods autorickshaw parked near the shop also sustained damage due to the fire.

Ernakulam district fire safety officer K Abdul Rasheed said that the fire from the waste spread to the flex board of the shop and from the flex board it spread to the car.

“The fire spread and the front portion of the shop caught fire. The aluminium composite panels, flex board and LED lights were damaged. We were informed about the incident by 1.45 and by 2 pm we reached the spot. Within one hour the situation was under control,” he said.

Sebin, a law college student who was present at the place at the time of accident said that soon after the flex board caught fire, autorickshaw drivers rushed to the spot to put off the fire.

“Many people rushed to the spot and the traffic came to a standstill. The people were panicking as the fire spread fast,” he said.

Joji A S, Station Officer, Gandhi Nagar Fire Station, said that it was through sheer luck that the fire was doused in time or it could have been a major mishap.

“We were able to stop the fire from spreading. It looks like the Nandilath shop did not incur much loss as the fire was prevented from spreading to the interiors. But some of the goods kept outside are likely to be damaged due to high temperature. The employees of the shop were removed when the fire broke out,” he said.

Gopu Nandilath, proprietor, Nandilath G Mart, said that they are yet to estimate the loss incurred.

Also Read:

Fire and Rescue Guidelines Thrown to the Winds  

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook