Fire and Rescue Guidelines Thrown to the Winds - The New Indian Express

Fire and Rescue Guidelines Thrown to the Winds

Published: 21st January 2014 12:18 PM

Last Updated: 21st January 2014 12:20 PM

The fire mishap on Monday is a perfect example of the negligence on the part of shop owners to comply with the guidelines, allege sources with Fire and Rescue Services Department. They expect the situation to change in the days to come, as shops have to get a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Department in order to get the permission to operate from local bodies, annually.

This has come into effect from this month. Earlier, the No-Objection Certificate was for a lifetime. From now on shops have to renew it on a yearly basis. Fire accidents like this could be avoided if this is adhered to,” a Fire and Rescue Services official said.

“We have given repeated instructions to the Nandilath shop owners to equip the showroom properly so as to prevent fire mishaps. There were only four small fire extinguishers and the cardboard boxes were dumped carelessly. Besides, there was only one door for the employees to escape in case of an emergency. Two years ago there was a similar fire accident at the shop,” said sources with the Department.

They added that many buildings in the city are yet to comply with the prescribed fire and rescue guidelines.

Also Read:

Fire Triggers Panic, Traffic Congestion  

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook