Students taken ill after inhaling toxic fumes - The New Indian Express

Students taken ill after inhaling toxic fumes

Published: 24th November 2012 10:53 AM

Last Updated: 24th November 2012 10:53 AM

Twenty-four students of a government higher secondary school in Edathala, Pallikkara, were rushed to the hospital after  suffering serious breathing problems on Friday.

According to the police, the students inhaled the toxic fumes emanating from the burning plastic garbage heap.  The incident occurred at 10.30 am when a large quantity of plastic waste and flex boards were burned in the courtyard of a house close to the school.

The house was situated close to the class rooms of the fifth and the sixth standards. Soon, the students had complained about the difficulty to breathe. Some of them suffered from stomach aches and were shivering. The students were quickly rushed to a private hospital nearby. By evening, twenty three students were discharged after the first-aid treatment. Askar Aslam, 11, who is suffering from asthma, was admitted in the pediatric intensive care unit. The doctors said that Askar was given an antibiotic injection and would be discharged the next day. The other victims are C S Lismi, P S Salini, Sarath Shaji, Haripriya, Suhana, Gourinanda, Shafina, K V Anjana, Sheeja Jayan, M S Bijesh, Abitha, Jenisha, Harsha, Sainaba, Disnu Baby, P P Anu, Vineetha, Ajay Mohan, Anjaly, M S  Shahitha, Anugraha Soman, Surya Surendran and Shermina.

comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer: We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the NIE editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.


Read More



follow us Mobile Site iPad News Hunt Android RSS Tumblr Linekin Pinterest Youtube Google Plus Twitter Facebook