KOCHI: Malayalam actor Dileep, who was arrested on Monday on the charges of hatching a criminal conspiracy in the abduction and sexual assault case of a leading actress in Kochi in February, has been remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.
The actor was sent to sub-jail at Aluva, near here.
Amid tight security, the actor was taken to the residence of Angamaly judicial first class magistrate, near Kochi, by 6.45 am on Tuesday.
On hearing the news that the actor would be produced before the magistrate, a large number of people thronged the premises of the magistrate's residence near Vengoor at Aluva.
The crowd booed at Dileep, who was earlier hailed as 'janapriya nayakan' (popular hero).
Dileep has filed a bail application but the magistrate court will consider the plea only on Wednesday.
WATCH THE VIDEO: Conspiracy behind Malayalam actress assault case
Aluva deputy superintendent of police (DySP) Sanil Kumar said the actor was lodged in an ordinary cell and that he did not plead for any special privileges inside the prison.
Responding to queries whether the actor would be provided a special cell, Sanil Kumar said, "The jail authorities will take a decision on this regard and the police have not received any direction in this regard from the Magistrate."
"I have no fear since I have not committed any crime," Dileep told the media while police was taking him to the residence of the magistrate.
Meanwhile, police officers said they would move the court seeking the custody of the actor for further interrogation. Dileep is charged under section 120b (criminal conspiracy) of IPC.
Here are all the updates of the case as it progressed:
- After arrest and remand, film body AMMA expels actor Dileep
- Actor Dileep in judicial custody for 14 days; lodged in Aluva sub-jail
- Three Dileep films stuck; Rs 60 crore at stake
- Reel to real life, Dileep’s arrest was a humdinger
- Malayalam actress abduction case: Film star Dileep arrested
- Malayalam actor assault case: Visuals retrieved from mobile phone of accused
- Malayalam actor assault case: Cops to question Pulsar Suni’s friends who ‘viewed’ video
- Malayalam actor assault case: Police end search for mobile phone in Kochi backwaters
- Malayalam actor assault case: Vehicle used in crime too a history-sheeter
- 'Pulsar' Suni indulged in human trafficking, says Congress MLA
- Malayalam actor assault case: Navy’s hunt for mobile turns dud
- Malayalam actor assault case: Police hunt for phone Sethurama Iyer-style
- I will always get up: Malayalam actress after kidnap ordeal
- Malayalam actress molestation: Identification Parade of suspects today
- Still missing - Pulsar Suni's mobile on which assault was recorded
- Exclusive | Malayalam actress molestation: Here is what the FIR says about the incident
- Malayalam actor molestation: Underworld links of Mollywood