The ASUS ZenWatch 2 will not disappoint fans of the first watch in the series launched sometime back. Chances are its improved features will make it the favourite Android-based smart watch.
ZenWatch 2 has both Google Fit and ASUS’ own Wellness app to keep you updated on the number of steps taken, calories burnt and distance covered.
Here's what works for the ASUS ZenWatch 2
1. A rounded-square design that uses a hand-polished stainless-steel casing with a curved-watch crystal. 3. The design closely resembles traditional, elegant-looking luxury watches while being subtle.
2. ZenWatch 2 carries a crown button and features Corning Gorilla Glass 3 for durability.
3. The 1.63-inch, two-finger touch AMOLED display with a pixel density of 278ppi produces sharp text with vibrant colours.
4. The biggest advantage of the AMOLED display is less battery consumption. The 400mAh battery can easily last for two days.
5. The smart watch also has an IP67 rating for dust and water resistance. It is completely dust-proof and can handle light splashes of water.
6. At a mere 60 grams, ZenWatch 2 is comfortable even if you have a small wrist. The rubbery band has a slight texture to it, giving you a feeling of wearing an actual watch.
7. Back to the crown button. When pushed, the display will light up or turn dim if it's already on. Holding it will get you into the menu, apps, contacts and Google Now features.
8. You can also turn off the screen by tapping the screen with the palm of your hand. You will feel a slight vibration on your wrist and display will turn dim.
9. The Android Wear operating system is powered by a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor coupled with 512MB of RAM for smooth navigation.
10. When synced with your Android phone or even an iPhone via the Android Wear app over bluetooth, you will start receiving notifications that you can browse to by swiping up and down.
11. Paired with the iPhone 5s over Bluetooth, the ZenWatch 2 maintained a healthy connection without failure.
12. If you want to interact with a notification, you can swipe to the left to get more options. If you want to get rid of a notification, you can simply swipe it to the right.
13. Voice recognition is reliable. You can initiate voice commands by saying "OK Google" while the screen is on to send text, check weather, etc.
14. The ZenWatch 2 watch offers a number of watch faces that you can change by just holding down the face. You can also do it on your phone in Android Wear app.
15. You can customise some of the watch faces in the ZenWatch Manager app with a maximum of three items that can display information such as step count, weather, battery life, unread Gmail, etc.
16. With the ZenWatch Manager app, you can trigger the "find my watch" app, send emergency messages to contacts and even fire up a flashlight.
17. There is no dock for charging. Instead, it houses a magnetic pogo-clip connector at the back of the smart watch that makes charging very easy.
Here’s what does not work
1. Although ZenWatch 2 runs smoothly, at times, there is a small delay while opening some of the apps.
2. There's no heart rate monitor.
3. There is limited compatibility with iPhones. To get full usage of the Android Wear app, it's better to use an Android phone that includes all of the ZenWatch apps.
Feature-laden ASUS ZenWatch 2 is a good buy at Rs 11,999, even for first-time users who are just entering the smart watch world