US Welcomes India's Move to Bring Temperatures Down
By Arun Kumar | IANS | Published: 21st December 2013 01:13 AM |
Trying to bring the temperatures down in their diplomatic spat, the US Friday welcomed India's reconciliatory stress on the importance of preserving their "valuable" ties as they try to work out a solution.
The US and India were engaged in conversations at various levels to find a way forward, State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters saying it agreed with the Indian External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid's views on how important and valuable the relationship is.
"Those are our views as well," she said when asked about Khurshid's comments on the importance of preserving the "valuable relation in which enormous investments have been made".
However, on the issue of dropping the charges of visa fraud against Devyani Khobragade, India's deputy consul general in New York, Psaki said "it's a legal case" and the State Department had "no jurisdiction" in the legal process.
On the issue of diplomatic immunity for Khobragade in her new job at India's Permanent Mission at the UN in New York, she said the concept of "retroactive" immunity does not work as it applies only to a diplomat's current status.
"It does not mean a clean slate," Psaki said. "It would not wipe out past actions and criminal charges remain on the book."
The State Department, she said, had "not yet received an official request through proper channels for re-accreditation" of Khobragade.
The US secretary of state, John Kerry, also looked forward to having a conversation with Khurshid, who was "not available" when he called him Wednesday night, Psaki said.
Kerry then spoke with India's National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon to express "regret" over the mess-up.
The US is closely engaged with the Indian government on the issue, Psaki said as it certainly wants to continue all important components, including trade, in the comprehensive India-US partnership.
- India Hopeful of Solution to Diplomatic Row: Khurshid
- Domino's Pizza Outlet Vandalized in Mumbai in Protest over Khobragade Issue
- Indian Diplomat's Father to Go on Hunger Strike
- "Sangeeta Richard’s Diary Says She was Happy"
- Treat our envoys as we treat yours: Foreign Secretary to US
- Government Earns BJP Praise for Handling Diplomat Issue
- No apology or withdrawal of charges against Indian diplomat: US
- Diplomat's Father to Fast-unto-death
- Queries Over Spl Visas for Richards
- 'Child Workers Prone to fatal Injuries in US'
- Selective Amnesia as Many in the US Get Peanuts as Pay
- Blistering India Attack After Bharara Bluster
- No Hurry in Restoring US Diplomatic Privileges: India
- Wendy Sherman Calls Sujatha Singh over Diplomat Case
- India Tears into Bharara for Defending Action Against Diplomat
- Khobragade Shifted to India's UN Mission