Coal scam: Government rejects CBI plea to quiz former Secretary

Government has turned down the request to question former Coal Ministry secretary HC Gupta, at present a member of Competition Commission of India, in connection with the coal blocks allocation scam.

Published: 03rd June 2013 07:19 PM  |   Last Updated: 03rd June 2013 08:30 PM   |  A+A-

coal_PTI
By PTI

Government has turned down a request of CBI to question former Coal Ministry secretary H C Gupta, at present a member of Competition Commission of India, in connection with the coal blocks allocation scam.

Highly-placed sources in CBI said the request was turned down by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs last week despite the agency reasoning out that his questioning was important as he was the Secretary between 2006 to 2009, a period which has come under the scanner.

The sources said CBI would be telling the court about the decision of the government for not allowing Gupta, a 1971 batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, to be questioned and take necessary directions.

Efforts to contact Gupta did not fructify and messages sent on his mobile remained unanswered.

CBI, which is probing the coal block allocation scam, has registered 11 FIRs related to alleged irregularities in the allotment coal blocks between 2006 and 2009.

During this period, 68 coal blocks were alloted to 151 companies and files of some of them had gone missing.

CBI has questioned former Union Ministers Santosh Bagrodia and D Narayan Rao and Congress MP in Rajya sabha MP Vijay Darda so far. .

Bagrodia, a former minister of state, was questioned as he was part of the Coal Ministry in UPA-1 and the allegations are that during his stint he had been informed about alleged misrepresentations and concealments by Nagpur-based AMR Iron and Steel Pvt Ltd (AMR) in its application form but let it through.

The alleged role of Bagrodia, a former Rajya Sabha member, was stated in an FIR filed by CBI on September 3, 2012.

However, the FIR did not name Bagrodia as an accused.

Vijay Dadra was also quizzed by CBI besides another former Minister of State D Narayan Rao.

CBI has been raising the issue of missing files from the Coal Ministry which finally deputed a joint secretary-level official to provide the agency with the missing files related to the probe in the coal block allocation scam.

CBI had informed the Public Accounts Committee that nearly 40 files are still not with it.

The agency has booked Vinni Iron and Steel, Nav Bharat Steel, JLD Yavatmal, JAS Infrastructure and Power and AMR Iron and Steel, Vikash Metal and Power Ltd, Grace Industries Ltd, Green Infrastructure and Kamal Steel for alleged cheating, forgery and misrepresentation of facts in their applications for coal blocks.

CAG had pegged the loss to the exchequer due to allocation of the coal blocks to the tune of Rs 1.86 lakh crore.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp