SC tells Centre, Uttarakhand to step up rescue operations

The state government informs the apex court that all the stranded pilgrims in the affected areas will be evacuated within the next 72 hours

Published: 26th June 2013 09:34 AM  |   Last Updated: 26th June 2013 09:34 AM   |  A+A-

The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed both the Centre and Uttarakhand Government to step up their activities to rescue people stranded in the flood-ravaged hill state.

While hearing a PIL filed by advocate Ajay Bansal on the plight of pilgrims stranded in Uttarakhand due to heavy rains and flash floods, a Bench comprising Justice A K Patnaik and Justice Ranjan Gogoi said the government should take into consideration the suggestions to be submitted by the petitioner.

The Uttarakhand Government said evacuation of stranded pilgrims from Kedarnath, Jungle Chatti, Gaurikund, Ghagharia and Hemkund Sahib was near complete and that it has arranged for free transport of the people to their respective destinations.

Also `2,000 was being given to each of them to meet their expenses. Approximately 80,000 people have been evacuated by employing 1,522 buses and taxis so far. As many as 9,200 people were evacuated by the Indian Air Force and 152 tonnes of food material were made available or airdropped. Private operators hired by the state government made 1,200 sorties and about 5,000 people were airlifted. Around 9,000 people are still stranded at different places, Uttarakhand stated.

Of the 1,520 PWD/BRO roads that got damaged, 723 have been reconstructed and repaired. Evacuation of all the stranded pilgrims would be completed within the next 72 hours, provided the weather remained favourable. There is no shortage of food and other essential supplies in the disaster zone as 50,000 bottles of packaged water, 50,000 packets of biscuits and 45,000 ready-to-eat food packets have been made available, the state government informed.

The Centre, in its report, stated that 14 teams of National Disaster Response Force comprising 449 personnel have been deployed for assisting the state government in search and rescue operations. Around 10,000 personnel from the Army and 1,200 ITBP personnel were also deployed. By June 23, a total of 96,500 people were evacuated by all the agencies to safe places. About 80 per cent of telecommunication facilities have been restored, the Centre added.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp