Andhra announces Rs 50 crore aid to Uttarakhand

Published: 29th June 2013 06:43 PM  |   Last Updated: 29th June 2013 06:43 PM   |  A+A-

By IANS

The Andhra Pradesh government Saturday announced Rs.50 crore for relief works in flood-ravaged Uttarakhand and for construction of four pilgrim amenities centres.

Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy announced that Rs.10 crore would be given to Uttarakhand government for rescue and relief works.

Another Rs.40 crore will be spent through Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) for construction of pilgrim amenities complexes, said a statement from the chief minister's office.

The complexes will be built at Kedarnath, Badrinath, Yamunothri and Gangotri at a cost of Rs.10 crore each.

The TTD, which manages the affairs of the famous Tirumala temple at Tirupati, was asked to work out proposals for construction of pilgrim amenities complexes.

The chief minister also announced a compensation of Rs.5 lakh each to the families of pilgrims from Andhra Pradesh who lost their lives in the floods in Uttarakhand. This is in addition to the ex-gratia given by the central government and other agencies.

Kiran Kumar Reddy reviewed the progress of rescue and relief operations for the pilgrims from the state with Chief Secretary P.K. Mohanty and other senior officials.

The officials said the information on missing people has been uploaded on the state government's official website with photos and all details.

The chief minister thanked the Uttarakhand government for the help and assistance rendered for the stranded pilgrims of Andhra Pradesh.

He reiterated that round the clock relief works will continue till the last stranded person is safely returned.

The state government arranged special chartered flights from Dehra Dun to Hyderabad on June 26 and 28, apart from issuing free air tickets and running a special train from Delhi to Hyderabad.

The officials had stated Friday that 115 pilgrims from the state were missing. Out of 2,785 pilgrims who went to the hill state, 1,879 returned safely while another 778 were on their way back. Thirteen pilgrims have so far been confirmed dead.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp