Aarushi murder: Talwars held guilty
By IANS | Published: 25th November 2013 04:18 PM |
A special CBI court Monday ruled that dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar were guilty of murdering their teenaged daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj five years ago in one of the most followed crime cases in India.
Delivering the much awaited verdict at 3.25 p.m., Special CBI Judge Shyam Lal said the quantum of punishment would be pronounced Tuesday.
Immediately after the judgment, the Talwars broke down. But in a statement released by their lawyer, they said they were "deeply disappointed" and vowed to fight for justice.
The Talwars were booked under sections 302 (murder), 34 (acts done by several persons in futherance of common intention) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code.
The court also booked Rajesh Talwar under section 203 (misleading the probe).
The couple was then taken away by police to the Dasna Jail in Ghaziabad.
The Talwars said they were "deeply disappointed".
"We are deeply disappointed, hurt and anguished for being convicted for a crime that has not been committed. We refuse to feel defeated and will continue to fight for justice," the statement said.
On May 16, 2008, the 14-year-old Aarushi was found dead in her dentist parents' Noida residence. The next day, police recovered the body of their domestic help Hemraj was found from their terrace.
Timeline of the case
- May 16, 2008: Aarushi Talwar, the daughter of dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, found dead with her throat slit in the bedroom of her Noida home.
- May 17: Body of Hemraj, the Talwars' domestic help, found on the terrace.
- May 23: Aarushi's father Rajesh arrested for double murder.
- May 31: Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) takes over case.
- June 13: Krishna, Rajesh's compounder, arrested by the CBI. Ten days later, Raj Kumar, the servant of a doctor friend of the Talwars, and Vijay Mandal, the domestic help of Talwars' neighbour, also nabbed.
- July 12: Rajesh set free by court after CBI fails to present evidence against him.
- Dec 29 2010: The CBI files closure report, stating Rajesh is the main suspect but there is not enough evidence against him.
- Jan 25, 2011: Rajesh attacked by a youth with a meat cleaver on the Ghaziabad court premises.
- Feb 9: A special Ghaziabad court orders that Rajesh and Nupur Talwar be tried for Aarushi's murder. The couple also face allegations of destruction of evidence. A CBI special court in Ghaziabad issues bailable warrants against the couple for not being present in court.
- March 14 2012: The CBI argues in court for cancellation of Rajesh's bail.
- April 30: Nupur Talwar arrested.
- May 25: Rajesh and Nupur charged by Ghaziabad court with murder, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.
- Sept 25: Nupur Talwar released on bail.
- April 2013: CBI officer tells court that Aarushi, Hemraj were killed by the Talwars. CBI also tells court that Aarushi and Hemraj were found in objectionable position.
- May 3: Defence counsel pleads before a special court to summon 14 people, including former CBI joint director Arun Kumar as witness. CBI opposes the plea.
- May 6: Trial court dismisses Talwar's petition for summoning 14 witnesse. It orders recording of statements of Rajesh and Nupur.
- May 13: Supreme Court refuses to entertain the Talwars' petition.
- Nov 12: Court reserves verdict in the case for November 25.
- Nov 25: Court to deliver verdict in double-murder case.