Centre Differs from Shah’s Claim on Saradha

Jitendra Singh says probe has so far not revealed that the chit fund money was used to finance terror, whereas Amit Shah had alleged such a connection

Published: 04th December 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th December 2014 06:00 AM   |  A+A-

Saradha

NEW DELHI: The NDA Government on Wednesday contradicted BJP president Amit Shah’s recent allegation that Saradha scam money was used to finance Burdwan terror blast. In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for personnel, Jitendra Singh said the investigation into the Saradha chit fund has not revealed a connection with terror funding.

“So far, the investigation has not revealed any such transaction, where the money was routed to Bangladesh to fund terror activities,” Singh said in the written reply. During a party rally in Kolkata on Sunday, Shah had alleged that Saradha chit fund money was used in the October 2 Burdwan blasts, which is being probed for link with Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh.

“Saradha money was used in the Burdwan blast. The NIA is not being allowed to probe the blast properly and hurdles are being created. It is being done in order to save the TMC leaders who are involved in the blast,” Shah had alleged.

Singh also replied in negative, when asked whether the government had sought details of the probe into Saradha scam, after reports indicated that a part of the money was routed to Bangladesh to fund terror activities.

Later, the government tried to salvage the damage and Singh, speaking to the reporters outside the Parliament, clarified that no clean chit was given by anybody. He said his response in the house clearly said that the matter was still under investigation.

The two versions by the government and the ruling party chief provided enough ammunition to the Opposition, especially the TMC, to hit back.  However, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar countered Bandhyopadhyay, saying the investigations were still on and the TMC should not “pre-judge” probe findings.

The saffron party’s national secretary and West Bengal-in- charge, Siddharth Nath Singh issued a statement, rejecting any contradiction between the party and government.  He further claimed that Saradha funds being used for terror activities in West Bengal have been in public domain for a very long time, including Bangladeshi newspapers.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp