Government to Review Security Given to VIPs

Published: 02nd July 2014 06:09 PM  |   Last Updated: 02nd July 2014 07:21 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

NEW DELHI :The NDA government will completely review the security provided to more than 150 VIPs by the previous UPA regime following completion of the upcoming budget session of Parliament.   

After the budget session, which ends on August 14, the threat perception to all these VIPs will be reviewed and it is likely that the list would be pruned with a major cut in security cover for those who had used their political clout to get the same, said a Home Ministry official.       

Those who were given either Y, Z or Z-plus security during the tenure of Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde include former Union Ministers Sachin Pilot, Manish Tewari and Beni Prasad Verma, BSP leader Satish Chandra Mishra and former Congress MP Naveen Jindal.   

Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee chief PS Bajwa, the party's Lok Sabha candidate from Allahabad, Nand Gopal Gupta 'Nandi', Congress Legislature Party chief in Uttar Pradesh, Pradeep Mathur, journalist Anirudh Bahal and former Union Minister Matang Sinh are few others who were given security during the UPA regime.  

Two BJP leaders -- Shahnawaz Hussain and Rajiv Pratap Rudy -- and Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani were accorded 'Z' category security during Shinde's tenure.       

"No decision has been taken so far. But threat perceptions of all VIPs will be reviewed and security will be given accordingly," the official said.  

A committee, headed by the Union Home Secretary, periodically reviews the threat perception of VIPs and, accordingly, recommends security for them.        

A 'Z-plus' category protectee is entitled to security with a total of 25 commandos, a 'Z' category protectee gets a cover of 11 security personnel while a 'Y' category VIP gets security of two armed commandos.            

A Home Ministry statement said that Home Minister Rajnath Singh was today apprised of the security arrangements for VVIPs/VIPs. Singh called for the security arrangements to be reviewed and suitably strengthened wherever required.            

Asked whether there was any move to reduce the security for any VIP, the Home Minister said no such decision has been taken.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp