One Killed in Vizag, Submarine Programme Safe

One person was killed in an accident here at a shipbuilding centre where three nuclear-powered submarines are being developed. But the DRDO said Sunday this won\'t hit the programme.

Published: 09th March 2014 03:55 PM  |   Last Updated: 09th March 2014 09:46 PM   |  A+A-

INS-Sindhuratna_PTI
By IANS

One person was killed in an accident here at a shipbuilding centre where three nuclear-powered submarines are being developed. But the DRDO said Sunday this won't hit the programme.

"The submarines are safe and the accident (Saturday) does not adversely affect the project," the Defence Research and Development Organisation said in a statement.

According to DRDO, a contractual worker lost his life while two others were injured in the accident when a pressure tank was being tested.

"During testing of a pressure tank at a facility ... related to development of submarines, an accident took place (outside the submarine) at about 5 p.m.," said the statement.

The accident took place when the tank's lid fell on the workers as pressure of the hydraulic tank of the Arihant class submarine was being tested.

Under the Arihant class submarine development programme, India is building three submarines.

DRDO clarified the accident would not hit the programme. "The submarines are safe and the accident does not adversely affect the project."

Two injured were under treatment. DRDO said an inquiry had been ordered.

This is the latest in a series of accidents to hit the Indian navy

A naval officer was killed and some dock workers were injured due to a gas leak in an under-construction ship at the Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.

Two officers were killed and seven others injured in a fire aboard a navy submarine INS Sindhuratna off Mumbai Feb 26.

A blast sank submarine INS Sindhurakshak in August last year, killing all 18 sailors and officers on board.

Navy chief Admiral D.K. Joshi resigned last month owning responsibility for the series of accidents.

Also Read:

Submarine Mishap: FM Says Defence Ministry Should Spend Wisely

INS Sindhuratna Fire Started on Mess Deck: Defence Ministry

'Navy Has Been Alerting Government on Dwindling Force Strength'

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp