LUCKNOW: Expressing optimism of solving the Bulandshahr gang-rape case at the earliest, the Uttar Pradesh Police today rubbished reports suggesting that the three persons arrested so far were not the main culprits, adding the next course of action would be taken in consultation with the family members of the mother-daughter duo as they were witness to the heinous crime.
“They three persons, who have been arrested, are the same three whom the victims’ family members had identified. Even when we went to Bulandshahr, we were told that these three were involved. We have the names of the rest; efforts are on to nab them. Both local teams and STF teams are working to nab the rest accused,” Uttar Pradesh DGP Javed Ahmed told the media here.
“Since the family was the witness to the crime, we would like to move forward with consultations with them. We do not want to trouble any wrong person,” he added.
Under attack from the opposition parties over sliding law and order situation in the state, the Samajwadi Party Government earlier suspended Bulandshahr Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Vaibhav Krishan for dereliction of duty.
Six others, including Superintendent of Police (city) Rammohan Singh, Circle Officer (Sadar) Himanshu Gaurav and SHO Ramsen Singh of Kotwali Dehat, were also suspended.
The Chief Minister had set a 24-hour deadline for the force to nab the culprits.
The incident took place on Friday night when a 35-year-old woman and her 14-year-old daughter were allegedly gang-raped by a group of robbers in Bulandshahr district.
The victims were on their way from Noida to Shahjahanpur with the other family members when their vehicle was stopped near a cycle repairing shop in Dostpur village on NH-9, which connects Noida and Bulandshahr.
However, three people were arrested yesterday in connection with brutal gang-rape of a woman and her daughter in the regard.