Gujarat government to challenge HC order on reservation, Hardik Patel welcomes verdict

Health minister and spokesperson of Gujarat government Nitin Patel said they will stick to the provision of EBC quota and challenge the HC order in apex court as soon as possible.

Published: 04th August 2016 03:37 PM  |   Last Updated: 04th August 2016 03:37 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

AHMEDABAD: Gujarat Government today said it will move the Supreme Court against the High Court order quashing an ordinance on 10 per cent quota for economically backward classes, while Patidar agitation leader Hardik Patel welcomed the verdict and vowed to continue the stir for quota under OBC category.

Health minister and spokesperson of Gujarat government Nitin Patel said they will stick to the provision of EBC quota and challenge the HC order in apex court as soon as possible.

"When we have announced the 10 per cent EBC reservation, our government had clearly stated that we will stick to this provision of EBC quota in any situation. Thus, we will file an appeal in the Supreme Court against today's order by High Court, which rejected this quota today," said Patel.

The quota had been announced to pacify the numerically and socially strong Patel community following violent protests led by Hardik Patel and Lalji Patel demanding reservation in education and government jobs under the OBC category.

Reacting to the HC order, Hardik said, "The court had clearly said that EBC quota was unconstitutional. We welcome the order, as we always wanted reservation as per the Constitution."

"Thus, our agitation for reservation under OBC quota will continue till we get justice," said Patel through a video message from Udaipur, Rajasthan. He was directed to stay out of Gujarat for six months by the high court while being granted bail in a sedition case last month.

The Gujarat High Court today quashed state government's ordinance notifying 10 per cent quota for economically backward class among the unreserved category. It is a setback to the Gujarat Government which had annouced the reservation to placate the agitating Patel community.

Terming the May 1 quota ordinance as "inappropriate and unconstitutional" a division bench of Chief Justice R Subhash Reddy and Justice V M Pancholi, observed that 10 per cent reservation for poor among the unreserved category takes the total quota beyond 50 per cent, which is not permitted as per the Supreme Court's earlier decision.

The High court also said that state government gave the reservation to EBCs without any study or scientific data.

The state government pleader had requested the court to stay its order so that they can approach Supreme Court, following which the HC issued a two-week stay on its order.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp