15-year-old killed in fresh clashes in Sopore, death toll in Kashmir reaches 69

Danish Manzoor and six other persons sustained injuries when security forces allegedly opened fire at stone-pelting protesters in Lodora in Sopore area, a police official said.   

Published: 31st August 2016 12:25 PM  |   Last Updated: 31st August 2016 12:25 PM   |  A+A-

Kashmir Protest_AP 16

SRINAGAR: A 15-year-old boy was killed today in clashes between security forces and violent protesters in Sopore area of north Kashmir Baramulla district, taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest in the Valley to 69.

Danish Manzoor and six other persons sustained injuries when security forces allegedly opened fire at stone-pelting protesters in Lodora in Sopore area, a police official said.     

He said Danish succumbed to injuries while being shifted to a hospital in Sopore town.           

With this death, the toll in the ongoing unrest in Kashmir has gone up to 69. The fresh clashes occurred even as authorities lifted curfew from all areas of Kashmir today after 53 days.    

"There is no curfew anywhere in Kashmir today. It has been lifted even from the two police station areas in Srinagar - M R Gunj and Nowhatta -  the only places in the Valley where the curbs were in place yesterday,"  a police official said earlier.

He said the improvement in situation across Kashmir prompted authorities to lift curfew.           

Security forces have been deployed in strength in sensitive areas of the Valley to maintain law and order, the official said. Greater movement of vehicular traffic and people was observed in major areas of the Valley, the official said.       

In Srinagar city, where authorities lifted the curfew on Monday, private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen on roads in and around the commercial hub of Lal Chowk here.       

However, normal life remained disrupted in many other areas of the Valley. Schools, colleges and other educational institutions and shops remained closed. The attendance in government offices and work in banks has witnessed improvement since Monday, the official said.          

Curfew was clamped in entire Valley on July 9 following violence in the aftermath of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter in south Kashmir s Anantnag district a day earlier.           

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley, has extended their strike call till September 1.           

Meanwhile, mobile internet continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.   

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp