NEW DELHI: Upper house of parliament went ahead with the session today after the Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day after condoling the death of sitting MP from Cooch Behar Renuka Sinha.
The Rajya Sabha on Wednesday accepted notices to discuss demonetisation as the winter session of Parliament started.
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien said: "We have received notices for discussion on demonetisation . We can have the discussion till 6 p.m."
Kurien also conceded to the demands from the members to continue the discussions onThursday.
The notices were given by members of the Congress, Trinamool Congress, Left parties and JD(U).
Opposition parties had on Tuesday decided to raise the issue of demonetisation in both houses of Parliament, signaling disruptions during the winter session.
Here are the updates from Rajya Sabha
Loan to Vijay Mallya's Kingfisher a write-off 'only in books,' but the Govt still pursuing his case: Arun Jaitley in RS pic.twitter.com/1sh3QTJ2Z5— ANI (@ANI_news) November 16, 2016
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till tomorrow, 11 AM.
- We demand that PM should be present here tomorrow morning and participate in the discussion on demonetisation: Ghulam Nabi Azad, Congress in RS
- Comparing our PM with Hitler, Mussolini, Gaddafi is atrocious to say the least; it is totally wrong: Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
- No other nation has taken such decisions; whoever has, their names have gone down in history 1. Gadaffi 2. Mussolini 3. Hitler 4. PM Modi: Congress' Pramod Tiwari says in RS
- Congress party please come out of dilemma; Are you in favour of smugglers or some strong steps?: Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu in RS
- Arun Jaitley clarifies on Vijay Mallya's loan write off: Says write-off 'only in books,' but the Govt still pursuing his case
- The big leaders of BJP and the mining mafia have spent over Rs 500 crore just like water and the govt did nothing about it :Mayawati in RS
- PM said 50 days are required for alternative arrangements to come in place. Till alternative arrangements are not in place allow old notes to be transacted for white transactions, public purposes asks Yechury
- None of the points said by PM has any strong footing, whether its terror funding, black money, counterfeit currency, or corruption says Yechury in Rajya Sabha.
- If you stop Rs 500/1000 notes, do you think corruption will stop? Now corruption will double with Rs 2000 notes says Sitaram Yechury.
- What is called #demonetisation is 86% of our cash transactions; country today is living on cash transactions of 14% says Sitaram Yechury of CPI(M)
- Rajya Sabha resumes
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm.
- We have never given it a name of 'surgical strike', if people think so, fair enough: Piyush Goyal on demonetisation
- Meanwhile Mayawati said that Jaitley looked 'sad' in RS
I have been observing Jaitley ji in the Rajya Sabha and have noticed he does look very 'dukhi': Mayawati— ANI (@ANI_news) November 16, 2016
- Entire nation is welcoming the move by PM: says Piyush Goyal, Union Minister
- BJP leaders go to wedding functions of Janardhan Reddy and they talk about fighting black money, why don't you arrest them?: Anand Sharma
- I condemn PM's statement in Goa mocking people who are standing in queues; he must apologise: Anand Sharma
- An atmosphere has been created by Govt where questioning the Govt has become the parameter to decide one's nationalism: Anand Sharma
- Govt has list of those holding black money in Swiss Bank; we demand that PM must tell who all are there in the list: Anand Sharma
- Whole world thinks that India's economy functions on black money: Anand Sharma in Rajya Sabha
- 86% of the currency in the markets was 500/1000 notes, was scrapped by just one announcement. Was it all black?, asked congress member Anand Sharma
(Inputs from agencies)