CBI moves SC to vacate stay on ongoing probe in Bulandshahr gangrape case

Khan had earlier hinted at a political conspiracy behind the gang-rape of the mother-daughter duo in Bulandshahr.

Published: 06th September 2016 03:58 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th September 2016 03:58 PM   |  A+A-

By ANI

NEW DELHI: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday moved the Supreme Court to vacate stay on the ongoing probe in the Bulandshahr gang-rape case.

The apex court had in August stayed the CBI probe until the issue of transfer of trail is decided.

The Supreme Court had issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh Government and senior Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Azam Khan over the Bulandshahr rape victims' plea seeking a transfer of the case out of the state.

While issuing a notice, the apex court pulled up both the Samajwadi Party-led state government and Azam Khan for their unwarranted comments.

The Supreme Court said that calling an incident of rape a 'conspiracy' cannot be called freedom of speech and that it defeats principles of constitutional compassion.

The apex court also said that statements issued by political leaders like Azam Khan, affect the public and to create mistrust in the investigation and the entire system.

Khan had earlier hinted at a political conspiracy behind the gang-rape of the mother-daughter duo in Bulandshahr.

Khan said that a desperate opposition could stoop to any level to defame and disgrace the government since the state elections are approaching.

However, the Samajwadi Party leader defended his remarks.

"I never said there is a conspiracy by the opposition. I said that as the elections are near, we all should find from where these protests and incidents are coming from. I never said that this was a conspiracy by the opposition," Khan told ANI in Lucknow.

"If we were not sensitive about them, then how can such a quick response have been made? It is because of their pain that we are saying that the accused should be arrested as soon as possible and a proper investigation should be done to find out the truth. This case requires strict action," he added.

The incident took place earlier on the intervening night of 29-30 July when a 35-year-old woman and her daughter were allegedly gang-raped by a group of robbers in Bulandshahr district.

The victims were on their way from Noida to Shahjahanpur with the other family members when their vehicle was stopped near a cycle repairing shop in Dostpur village on NH-9, which connects Noida and Bulandshahr.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp