Case registered against unknown persons in Rajdeo Ranjan murder incident

Published: 15th September 2016 09:15 PM  |   Last Updated: 15th September 2016 09:15 PM   |  A+A-

NEW DELHI: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday registered a case against unknown persons in the journalist Rajdeo Ranjan murder incident that happened in Bihar’s Siwan district.

The agency’s move comes a day after the Rajan’s wife Aisha moved the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe against RJD strongman Mohammed Shahabuddin and Bihar Health Minister and Lalu Prasad Yadav’s son Tej Pratap.

The two RJD leaders were spotted with wanted shooter Mohammed Kaif, who is accused of allegedly murdering Ranjan earlier this year. The CBI also sent a team to Siwan to begin probe in the murder case.

The agency has registered a murder case four months after Bihar Government recommended a CBI into the murder of Ranjan, bureau chief a Hindi newspaper.

The sources said name of former RJD MP Shahbuddin who has been released recently on bail was under the scanner of Bihar Police which was probing the case till recently.

CBI sources said they have taken over the investigation in the murder case which has been registered under the IPC sections related to criminal conspiracy, murder and arms act.

According to the rules, CBI takes over same FIR which has been registered by the state police. However, the sources said, the investigation of the agency is completely free and it may arrive at any conclusion which may or may not be in concurrence with the state police.

"The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case under section 302, 120-B, 34 of IPC and section 27 of Arms Act against unknown assailants relating to alleged murder of senior journalist Rajdeo Ranjan on the request of Bihar Government and further notification from Government of India," CBI officer said.

The agency has taken over the investigation of the said case which was earlier registered on  May 13, 2016 at Police Station Siwan town, Bihar on a complaint from wife of deceased.

The state government had issued a notification requesting the CBI to take over the investigation of the murder case on May 16.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp