NDA nominee M Venkaiah Naidu was today elected as the next Vice President of India by securing over two-thirds of votes leaving opposition candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi far behind.
Naidu got 516 votes out of total 771 votes cast while Gandhi could only manage 244 votes. Of the total 771 votes polled, 11 were found to be invalid.
Although 785 MPs are there in both the Houses of Parliament, 14 MPs could not vote.
"Coming from an agricultural background, I never imagined I would be here. Agriculture has no proper voice in Indian polity," India's vice president-elect told PTI.
"I am very humbled. I am also thankful to the Prime Minister and all party leaders for their support. I will seek to utilise the vice presidential institution to strengthen the hands of the president and secondly uphold the dignity of the Upper House," he added.
Naidu will be the 13th person to hold the second highest Constitutional post.
The strength of the electoral college comprising both elected and nominated MPs of Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha is 790.
There are two vacancies in each House.
One BJP Lok Sabha MP is barred from voting following a judicial pronouncement. Two BJP leaders -- Sanwarlal Jat and Vijay Goel -- are hospitalised and could not vote, BJP leaders said.
Here are the key updates of the Vice Presidential polling:
- I promise to uphold the Constitution and the high standards set by my esteemed predecessors, tweets Vice-President elect Venkaiah Naidu. (ANI)
- Congratulate Venkaiah Naidu ji on being elected VP of India. My best wishes for success in your new responsibilities tweets Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik. (ANI)
- Congratulate Venkaiah Naidu Ji, our next Vice-President; wish him well. In the tradition of democracy, GK Gandhi Ji fought with dignity for certain ideals: West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee. (ANI)
Thank those who voted for me;was expecting handsome performance by united vote of opposition parties & I'm more than satisfied: GK Gandhi pic.twitter.com/x1mD7VKZz9— ANI (@ANI_news) August 5, 2017
Opposition will never compromise on ideology whether we face defeat or victory. Thank all those who voted against NDA: GN Azad, Congress pic.twitter.com/ucCN3ZvLjC— ANI (@ANI_news) August 5, 2017
I am confident @MVenkaiahNaidu will serve the nation as a diligent & dedicated Vice President, committed to the the goal of nation building.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 5, 2017
- Congratulations to Venkaiah Naidu Garu on being elected India’s Vice President. My best wishes for a fruitful & motivating tenure, tweets PM Modi. (ANI)
- NDA candidate Venkaiah Naidu wins the Vice-Presidential Elections, defeating UPA's Gopalkrishna Gandhi. Out of 760 valid votes, Venkaiah got 516 and Gopalkrishna Gandhi got 244 votes.
- Counting for Vice-Presidential Election begins. (ANI)
- 14 MPs absent from voting; 2 from BJP, 2 from INC, 2 from IUML, 4 from TMC, 1 from NCP; 1 from PMK & 2 Independent. Vijay Goel & Sanwar Lal Jat from BJP; Kunal Ghosh, Tapas Paul, Pratima Mondal&Abhishek Banerjee from TMC didn't vote. Mausam Noor & Ranee Narah from INC; Udayan Raje Bhonsle from NCP; Ambumani Ramadoss from PMK didn't cast their vote. Abdul Wahab & PK Kunhallikutty from IUML; Anu Agha & Naba Kumar Saraniya are Independent MPs who did not vote. (ANI)
- Counting to commence at 6: Assistant Returning Officer Mukul Pandey. (PTI) [READ FULL REPORT]
- Voting for Vice Presidential Election ends. Total 771 out of 785 votes polled, 98.21 per cent polling recorded. (ANI)
- 96.94 per cent polling till 3 pm in vice presidential elections: Assistant Returning Officer Mukul Pandey. (PTI) [READ MORE]
- 761 out of 785 votes have been polled till 3 pm.
- 90.83 per cent voting till 1 pm in vice presidential elections: Assistant Returning Officer Mukul Pandey. (PTI)
- Picture will be clear by this evening: Home Minister Rajnath Singh says about next vice president.
- Everybody loves him a lot, he is most capable, he knows entire Parliament, the whole politics: BJP MP Hema Malini on Venkaiah Naidu.
- Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar casts his vote in the vice presidential polls
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi casts her vote in the vice presidential poll. (Read more)
- Voting for the vice presidential polls continues with MPs lining up to cast their votes.(Read more)
- Majority of parties support my candidature: NDA's vice presidential candidate Venkaiah Naidu (Read more)
- UPA's Vice Presidential candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi says there is only technical competition between him and Venkaiah Naidu.
NDA's candidate is an experienced person,no competition as such b/w us,only technically there is:Opposition VP candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi pic.twitter.com/5mXt07oa0D— ANI (@ANI_news) August 5, 2017
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has cast his vote in the Vice Presidential polling.
- Polling to pick the next Vice President of India begins. Members of Parliament will cast their votes between 10 am to 5 pm
- Members of Parliament have arrived before the polling has started. They are waiting in queue to cast their vote to elect the next Vice President at the Parliament house in New Delhi
(with inputs from agencies)