Seven more persons die in UP floods taking toll to 18

At least 18 people have died due to floods in Balrampur and Bahraich districts of Uttar Pradesh over the past three days.

Published: 18th August 2017 08:26 AM  |   Last Updated: 18th August 2017 06:19 PM   |  A+A-

India_Floods_S_(5)

Image for representational purpose only.

Express News Service

LUCKNOW: At least 18 people have died due to floods in Balrampur and Bahraich districts of Uttar Pradesh over the past three days. The districts of Barabanki, Gonda, Siddharth Nagar, Mahrajganj, Balrampur and Bahraich districts in central UP are worst affected following heavy rains, according to officials. So far, 21 NDRF teams have been deployed to carry out rescue and relief operations in over 14 districts of UP.

After the arrival of additional teams, NDRF commandant Alok Singh said in Varanasi that excess release of water from Nepal had left the rivers, including Sharda, Gharghra, Rapti, Budhi Rapti and Rohin flowing above the danger mark in many districts. Relief committees have been set up to provide succour to those affected.

In Bahraich and Shravasti, while the waters of Rapti receded a bit on Thursday, the villages revealed tell-tale signs with at least 20 houses and a school building having been washed away completely.
In Bahraich, eight persons were killed of which five died in Mehsi and one each in Nanpara, Mihipurwa and Kaiserganj areas during the last three days. According to Bahraich DM Ajay Deep Singh the Ghaghra and Saryu rivers were also flowing above the danger mark at several places.

It was a similar scenario in Bhinga and Shravasti. People were shifted to the roads. A road-side bridge in Laxmannagar was washed away three days back. According to the toll by Balrampur DM RK Mishra,  seven persons had died in the district in last 48 hours. Meanwhile, the state government announced a relief of `4 lakh each to the next kin of the deceased.

However, the NDRF commandant said that 7,566 people were evacuated to safer places from flood-affected areas until Thursday morning while 60 others were saved by carrying out rescue operations in remote areas during the night.

U’khand cloudbust: Kailash yatra suspended
Pithoragarh: Kailash Mansarovar pilgrims were airlifted on Thursday after the yatra was temporarily suspended as the route between Mangti and Malpa was damaged due to the recent cloudbursts in which eight people were killed.

Forty-seven pilgrims of the 16th batch were airlifted to Dharchula by helicopters and 23 members of the 13th returning batch were airlifted to Pithoragarh from Gunji on Wednesday, Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam officer from Nainital, D K Sharma said. Twenty-three members of the 13th batch have been airlifted from Gunji and the rest of the members will be airlifted on Friday, he said. This is being done due to broken roads at Malpa and Mangti where natural disaster struck two days ago.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp