China claims India withdrew troops in Dokalam, silent on plans to build road

China on Monday said that India has withdrawn its troops from Doklam but Chinese troops will "remain in the region" and exercise their "sovereignty over the region".

Published: 28th August 2017 12:26 PM  |   Last Updated: 28th August 2017 11:55 PM   |  A+A-

File Photo for Representational Purposes. | AP

By PTI

BEIJING: Downplaying India's announcement of a mutual agreement to disengage in Dokalam, China claimed its soldiers continued to patrol the area and said India had withdrawn its troops today.

China also remained silent on its plans to build a road, which sparked the prolonged standoff in the Dokalam area near Sikkim, and said it would "make adjustments" with the situation on the ground.

As the Indian statement on mutual "expeditious disengagement" went viral on social media and among Chinese journalists, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying sought to highlight the withdrawal of Indian troops to dispel impressions of a climbdown by Beijing.

"On the afternoon on August 28th, India has pulled back all the trespassing personnel, equipment to the Indian side of the boundary," she said.

"Chinese personnel on the ground have verified this. The Chinese side will continue to exercise its sovereignty, uphold territorial integrity in accordance with the historical conventions," she said, stonewalling questions about India’s announcement of mutual disengagement of troops.

The Chinese side, Hua added, continues to patrol the Dokalam area.

She also declined to go into questions on whether there was any mutual understanding between the two countries to resolve the standoff.

However, after repeated questions, she said, "I can tell you that China will make adjustments with the situation on the ground." She did not elaborate.

Hua was also conspicuously silent about whether China would proceed with the building of the road in Dokalam, which was the prime reason for the standoff.

India wanted the status quo to be restored to withdraw its troops.

Meanwhile, a Chinese military spokesperson said the army will remain vigilant and firmly defend national territory and sovereignty.

"Peace and stability along the China-India border concerns regional peace and stability and accords with the common interests of the two peoples," Wu Qian, spokesman for the Ministry of National Defence, was quoted by the official media as saying.

"We remind India to draw lessons from the standoff, abide by established treaties and the basic principles of international law, and work together with China to safeguard peace and stability along the border and promote the healthy development of the two militaries," he was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency.

Troops of the two countries were locked in a standoff in Dokalam since June 16 after Indian troops stopped the Chinese army from building a road in the disputed area.

Bhutan, which claimed sovereignty over the area, had also lodged a diplomatic protest to China on June 28.

Indian troops intervened to stop Chinese troops from building the road close to the strategic Chicken Neck, the narrow corridor connecting India’s mainland with its North East.

India said China’s road building also violated the 2012 agreement between the Special Representatives of India and China to resolve the boundary issue. The agreement referred to the strategic tri-junction between India, China and Bhutan.

Developments in Dokalam come days of ahead of the September 3-5 BRICS, (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit in the Chinese city of Xiamen.

So far, none of the leaders of the five-member bloc, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin, have announced their visits.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp