Don’t want bloodshed on my son’s death anniversary: Burhan Wani’s father

Father of  Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani’s father on Saturday appealed for peace and harmony in the Kashmir Valley on the death anniversary of his son.

Published: 08th July 2017 01:45 PM  |   Last Updated: 08th July 2017 01:45 PM   |  A+A-

Hizb-ul Mujahideen's Slain commander Burhan Wani. | Facebook


SRINAGAR: Father of  Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani’s father on Saturday appealed for peace and harmony in the Kashmir Valley on the death anniversary of his son.
“I don’t want any untoward incident or killing. I only want peace and harmony.” Muzaffar Ahmad Wani said in a video message.
In the wake of Hizbul Mujahideen commander’s death anniversary, curfew has been imposed at many places in the Kashmir Valley to ward off possible violence and protest.
Curfew has been imposed in Tral town (native town of Wani ) of Pulwama district, Anantnag, Shopian, Kulgam, Baramulla, Sopore and some other towns.
Authorities have also beefed up the security and to prevent terrorists and separatists from observing the day.
According to reports, terror outfits have plied to observe the day. Hurriyat leaders and Hizbul supreme commander Syed Salahuddin have called for a complete shutdown and chalked out a week's protest calendar.
Meanwhile, Deputy Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Nirmal Singh on Saturday assured that security has been beefed up in the state to ward-off possible violence in the state.
“There is proper arrangement of security. As of now the situation is normal in the valley,” Singh told ANI.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh earlier on Saturday chaired a high-level meeting to review the security scenario in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of Wani's first death anniversary.
Wani, who was the poster boy of the HM in Kashmir Valley, was gunned down in an encounter in Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir on July 8, 2016.
Widespread protests erupted in the Kashmir valley after Wani's death and curfew was imposed in Kashmir Valley for consecutive 53 days.
However, the unrest continued for about five months after Wani's death in which 78 people, including two police personnel, were killed.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp