Linking of mobile with Aadhaar: Supreme Court to hear matter on November 13

The fresh plea has been filed by Tehseen Poonawala seeking direction to quash the DoT notification of March 23 and hold it as "unconstitutional" and "null and void".

Published: 06th November 2017 06:28 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th November 2017 07:35 PM   |  A+A-

Several petitions challenging the Centre's move to make Aadhaar card mandatory for availing various services and benefits of welfare schemes have been filed in the apex court. (File | PTI)

By PTI

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court today said it would hear next week a plea challenging the Department of Telecommunication (DOT's) notification on mandatory linking of mobile numbers with Aadhaar.

The matter came up for hearing before a bench of Justices AK Sikri and Ashok Bhushan and the counsel appearing for the petitioner sought adjournment on the ground that senior lawyer K T S Tulsi, who would argue the case, was not available. The matter was then fixed for hearing on November 13.

The fresh plea has been filed by Tehseen Poonawala seeking direction to quash the DoT notification of March 23 and hold it as "unconstitutional" and "null and void".

It has also sought direction to the telecom operators to prevent them from implementing this notification and destroy the data already collected from the customers.

Recently, a bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra had said that a constitution bench would be set up and Aadhaar related petitions would come up for hearing before it in the last week of November.

Several petitions challenging the Centre's move to make Aadhaar card mandatory for availing various services and benefits of welfare schemes have been filed in the apex court.

The Centre had on October 25 told the top court that the deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to receive benefits of government schemes has been extended till March 31, 2018 for those who do not have the 12-digit unique biometric identification number and were willing to enroll for it.

The apex court had on February 6 this year asked the Centre to put in place within a year an effective mechanism to scrutinise the details of identity of over 100 crore existing and future mobile telephone consumers.

The court had suggested that the existing pre-paid mobile users, who are 90 per cent of the total mobile users, may be asked to give identity details at the time of re-charge as done while giving him or her a fresh SIM card.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp