Don't see serious trouble, but forces ready for any exigency: Army chief Bipin Rawat on Doklam

The Indian Army chief's remarks come in wake of recent media reports about China apparently taking control of the northern side of the Doklam Plateau. 

Published: 17th January 2018 05:57 PM  |   Last Updated: 17th January 2018 06:30 PM   |  A+A-

Rawat-PTI

Army Chief Bipin Rawat addresses a press conference in New Delhi on Friday, 12 January 2018 | PTI

By PTI

NEW DELHI: The Army does not visualise any "serious trouble" post-Doklam episode as the border forces of India and China are holding regular exchange and the earlier "bonhomie" has returned, but the forces are prepared for any exigency, Army chief General Bipin Rawat said today.

Rawat also insisted that the PLA soldiers were not in the same numbers in the North Dolam (Doklam) area as they were at the time of the (India-China military) stand-off.

"They have carried out some infrastructure development, most of it is temporary in nature. But while their troops may have returned and the infrastructure remains, it is any body's guess whether they would come back there, or it is because of the winter they could not take their equipment away," Rawat said.

He was responding to a question on Facebook Live, posted by the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), one of the organisers of the multi-lateral 'Raisina Dialogue'.

"But then we are also there. In case they come (back), we will face them," Rawat added.

The Army chief's remarks come in the wake of media reports about China carrying out some infrastructure development in the disputed region.

He said the mechanism in place to defuse the tensions between the two countries are working very well.

"After the Dolam incident...we have started our border personnel meeting. We are meeting regularly, exchanges are taking place, communications between the commanders at the ground level is on and the bonhomie has returned which was prior to the Dolam (incident)," he said.

The Army chief added, "We don't visualise serious trouble but then one has to be prepared for it."

Indian and Chinese troops had been locked in a stand-off for over two months last year in the Doklam area near Sikkim before "disengaging" on August 28.

There was also an incident of road building by Chinese civilians at Tuting in Arunachal Pradesh, but that was resolved last week.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp