Kashmir: Restrictions lifted in Srinagar, Tral in Pulwama

Roads leading to historic Jamia Masjid, have been lifted and the worship place is open for prayers.

Published: 09th July 2018 01:33 PM  |   Last Updated: 09th July 2018 01:33 PM   |  A+A-

Restrictions lifted in Srinagar, Tral in Pulwama.


SRINAGAR: Restrictions, imposed in downtown Srinagar, Tral and Awantipora in Pulwama district in south Kashmir, to prevent any demonstrations following strike called by separatists on Saturday and Sunday, have been lifted.

Curfew-like restrictions were imposed on Saturday and continued for the second successive day on Sunday in the areas falling under police station M R Gunj, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal, Khanyar and Rainwari in the downtown in Srinagar to prevent any demonstration.

The Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL), comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq and Mohammad Yaseen Malik, had called for a general strike on Saturday against the shifting of Dukharan-e-Milat (DeM) chief Asiya Andrabi and her two associates to New Delhi by National Investigation Agency (NIA) for their alleged anti-national activities.

All the three were given ten-day remand by the court in New Delhi. 

The JRL had asked people to observe strike on Sunday on the second death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) commander Burhan Wani, who was killed in an encounter by security forces on July 8, 2016 in Anantnag.

The restrictions have been lifted and all road blocks on main and interior roads have been lifted in the downtown Srinagar.

Barbed wire and other road blocks have been removed and security forces withdrawn.

Shops and business establishments opened and traffic was plying on all routes, including busy Nallahmar road, normally.

Road leading to historic Jamia Masjid, where no Friday prayers could be offered due to restrictions, have been lifted and the worship place is open for prayers.

Meanwhile, restrictions in Tral and Awantipora and other adjoining areas in Pulwama were lifted.

All roads leading to Tral, the hometown of HM commander Burhan Wani, which were closed on Friday evening, are open on Monday after security forces removed all road blocks, nakas and barbed wire.

Hundreds of additional security forces and state police personnel who were deployed to strictly implement the curfew restrictions have been withdrawn.

However, militants hurled a hand grenade towards a CRPF vehicle at a camp which missed the intended target and exploded without causing any damage.


Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp