Juvenile convict in 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape case untraceable: WCD Ministry

Sources added that there were reports in 2016 that the juvenile convict had changed his name and was working in a roadside eatery away from Delhi with help of an NGO. 

Published: 10th July 2018 02:13 AM  |   Last Updated: 10th July 2018 09:02 AM   |  A+A-

Union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi (File | Reuters)

Express News Service

NEW DELHI: The Union Women and Child Development ministry on Monday welcomed the Supreme Court’s judgment upholding the death penalty for convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape case. 

But there was a sense of regret that delay in taking a crucial decision — of preparing a national database of sexual offenders — has meant that the juvenile convict in the case is now untraceable after serving time in a correction home for three years.

In Madhya Pradesh, WCD minister Maneka Gandhi said that a convict had been awarded the death sentence for raping a minor girl after a new law was formulated in the state. “The determination of the Home Ministry to have a particular cell for heinous crimes such as molestation and rape of women shows that violence against women will not be tolerated,” she said.

She added the measures taken by the government will act as a strong deterrent to perpetrators of such crimes. On April 21, the Centre cleared an amendment to the POCSO Act to award death sentence to rapists of children below the age of 12.

Officials in her ministry, however, said there was also a feeling within the ministry that had the NCRB under the home ministry agreed to prepare the database earlier, as urged by the ministry, it would have been easy to keep a tab on the juvenile convict.

“We have been urging the home ministry to prepare the registry of sexual offenders, but the approval came through only recently. As a result, nobody knows and has details of the juvenile,” an official said.

In April, the Union Cabinet gave nod to preparing a registry that will have the profiles and personal details of not only convicted offenders but also those accused of such offences.

Sources added that there were reports in 2016 that the juvenile convict had changed his name and was working in a roadside eatery away from Delhi with help of an NGO. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.